Monday, October 25, 2010

Army wife and now Army mom

WOW. That sums up my weekend. And it was rough on this mama.

Saturday, October 23rd, my son Brody was sworn into the United States Army. You couldn't have found a more proud set of parents in all the world that day. I really didn't think I'd get emotional. Boy, was I wrong.

The commander was giving a small speech and my son was standing directly in front of her. Oddly enough he didn't seem nervous. (I was.) I stood there watching this moment unfold in front of me all I could think is how my baby boy looked grown up. After the speech the ceremony began. His right hand went up, he stood there so squared away and proud. As he began repeating the oath I felt tears in my eyes. I was having a hard time holding them back. I never thought this day would get here.

I remember when Brody was a toddler wondering what he'd look like as a teenager. I remember when Brody turned 10, it was hard on me just one more year and I couldn't count his age on my fingers. This boy has took me on so many adventures. Countless hospital visits. Broke bones. Stitches. Not to mention asthma in the middle of the night. Trips to the principals office. Visits with teachers. All the while, even in the middle of being in trouble, Brody would have a grin on his face. He has a quick temper but thank God he was blessed with a forgiving heart. He's always found humor in everything, it has got him through a lot and will see him through a lot more.

I guess as his mom what hurts me the most is knowing I won't be there to "fix" anything for him. His problems, his hurts, his upsets, his feelings. Nothing. I won't be there. I could cry thinking about it right now. I've been here all his life. I didn't work as he grew up, I was there waiting for him to get off the bus. I was there when he came dragging in late weekend nights. That will end soon. Uncle Sam will be there. A Sgt will take my place. He won't be loving or caring. He won't be his mama.

I'm proud of my son. I'll be on my knees a lot over the course of his time in the Army.

It's Monday morning and I've been up since 4:30am. I had to see off my other soldier. I love being a soldiers wife, the pride is beyond any words. Now I'm an Army mom as well as an Army wife.

Life is good.
Ciao for now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic