Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Friendship


Making friends in new places is something I haven't had to deal with much throughout my life. I lived in the same small town I grew up in even as an adult. Not until I married my now husband did I leave my hometown. My friends were people I grew up with.

I remember making two friends as an adult. I had plenty of acquaintances that were weaved in and out of my entire life. I only met two, honest to goodness, friends after the age of 20. It was after that but to be on the safe side I'll say 20.

I remember meeting each one perfectly. I met Freda C. first. She is quite a bit older than I but we have daughters the same age. We met through the girls. I instantly liked her, we bonded quickly. We remain friends to this day. Some 18 years later. We're not as close as we were but I still call her friend.

Then I met my favorite. Krista Jo. I remember what she looked like and even what she had on. This was 14 years ago. From the moment I laid eyes on her I knew I liked her. I didn't know then but I'd soon love her. She was holding the hand of her little girl and carrying her baby boy in his car seat. I wanted to take them all home with me. She looked scared, nervous and obviously uncomfortable. It was a slow to grow friendship. This young woman had lived a big life in her small years. She didn't know it then but I'd be a big part of her life, as she was in mine.

We became best friends.

She's moved, I've moved but I know without a shadow of a doubt if I picked up my phone and called her we'd pick up where we left off.
I'm more connected to her than I am my own flesh and blood sister or brother. I've been mad at her. Hurt by her. No doubt I've hurt her. And definitely made her mad on more than one occasion. The beauty of our friendship is it's like any good relationship, it's unconditional. My love for her can't be turned on and off like a light switch. It's there forever. No matter what ocean separates us, it doesn't matter how many miles between us we will forever be connected and that bond can't be broken.

I don't call her every day. I've gone weeks without sending a text. But I know that I know that I know, if I need someone to talk to or someone to pray with me or for me, she's there. As I'm here for her.

She's a real friend.

Now moving on across the ocean to present day.

I'm surrounded by Army wives. They're made up of women {& young girls} from all over the world. It's not like making a friend in a small town or even a city with a certain circle of friends. It's not an easy thing to do. Not for me anyway. I'm not willing to put myself out there. And I'm damn sure not willing to put forth the effort it takes to find that one friend in a 1000.

In general, I don't like Army wives. Judge me, I don't care. From my own personal experiences I've found them to be bored housewives, gossipy, snippity, clannish, immature women. All the good they so proudly proclaim is, from what I've seen, all for show. They annoy the shit out of me and oddly enough I find humor in watching them on some days.

Having explained all that let me now say this, it's damn near impossible to find a real friend. A decent, honest, loyal, caring, moral female is RARE. Not to even mention one with similar personality traits as yourself. That's like looking for a needle in a haystack. God forbid you even dare to hope for ONE of those quality characteristics and add to it a sense of humor? Impossible I tell you.

In walks God.

Ever notice that when you least expect it that is when God delivers a blessing? I was at a briefing at the Army hospital. I drug my daughter with me because I hate going alone. I loathe walking into a room full of people. Ugh! So here we are, SJ sits in a chair against the wall and I find a chair around the table in the middle of the room. I catch myself glancing back at SJ, like a five year old does to its mom. Pathetic? Probably. It happen. The lady to my left said something polite and it was nice enough that I spoke back. My bitch mode had activated when I entered the room, surprisingly it sat dormant while we talked about the upcoming briefing. By the time the briefing ended she had gave me her phone number and I'd given her mine. A first. I'll admit I felt a lil smug inside as I looked around the room at the other women whom I snubbed. Let's face it, I'm a snob and I know it. It could be just a self preservation mechanism or it could be that I'm really just an ass. Whatever it is, I embrace it. I felt like saying, "neener neener, I made a friend and you didn't." Really. It's a rare occurrence and let me tell you, it was nice.

Fast forward five months or so.

Today she IS my best friend. There isn't a day go by that I don't talk to her or see her. Or both. She is a God send. I feel about her like I do my husband. I feel like God looked down and seen what was missing in my life and said, "Here, I'm giving you this person to fill a void in your life. You deserve this person." I AM blessed. I don't just think it. I KNOW it.

We've cried together. We've laughed together. We've watched OU Sooner football together. We've sat at beautiful beaches on beautiful days together. {even in the rain} Shopped together. Ate together. Everything that best friends do. On a regular basis. It's quite wonderful. I know some of you are asking what the big deal is, I'd say to those who ask that question, either doesn't have a Stephanie in your life or takes a Stephanie for granted.

She's a ''forever'' friend. I love her and she loves me back like all great best friends do. Like with Krista Jo, I know that I can call her or go see her and she's there for me. She knows that I'm there for her in any situation, under any circumstance. She's my bestie.

We have so much in common that we laugh about it and say it's so weird. But I love it. Another bond that can't be broken.

Looking over to my right. I see the best friend of all, Beau. My husband. My supporter. My lover. My Hero. My everything. He's the ultimate best friend. There are days I don't like him. There are days I can't get enough of him.

Once upon a time I was angry at him. I told him, "I want to go HOME!"
I will never forget the hurt in his eyes. I wanted to take those words back so desperately.
He put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me tight up against him.
He looked down at me and said, "I AM your home." He wrapped his arms around me, I snuggled in as close as I could. I never felt so loved, so protected, so wanted, so cherished in all of my life.

I love that man with all I have to love with.

Taking a mental inventory of my best friends, I'd say that I have the cream of the crop. My God seen to it that I got the best of the best. I'll always be grateful and thankful.

Thank you Heavenly Father for all the blessings you've poured out over me.

Peace. Love. &. Friends.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic