Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Lesson On Being Honest

Never in a million years would you have convinced me that'd I'd ever like bowling. Beau talked me into trying it out a couple of months ago and I admit, I'm hooked. But this is beside the point of this blog.

Beau's boss is taking him and the soldiers bowling at lunchtime and so Beau invited to me to join them. I didn't really want to go hang out with a bunch of soldiers but like always I said ok. THAT was the night before, everything sounds good the night before.

So, I got up yesterday morning and decided to go check out that thrift store across the field from my house. I left around 10:30, knowing at 11:00 I'd be getting a phone call from Beau at the bowling alley....
As it turned out I had to leave my phone at home charging, yeah charging. I had no intentions of going to that bowling alley! I got in my car and drove happily to the thrift shop. I quite enjoyed my little adventure, I found goodies and not just any goodies but Christmas goodies. I found a box of three different sized 'Charlie Brown' pre lit Christmas trees. (for 8 bucks) I was in Christmas heaven. I found some beautiful decorations and was on cloud 9. It was so busy in that little store I couldn't really check out everything so I decided to go check out.

The lady rung up my items. $23 total for all my Christmas delights. I was smiling, happy as a clam in sand. I opened up my pocketbook to grab my debit card. Flipping out because I couldn't find it, I had ten dollars cash. That's it. I never carry cash. More importantly where was my freakin' debit card? Who used it last? Was it in my purse at home? Was it in Beau's wallet, when I don't want to carry a purse he IS my purse. I ask the cashier if she'll hold on to my things and tell her I'll be back. Of course, she says. So, remember I don't have my phone, its charging. Thankfully Brody was tagging along. We call Beau. Beau is leaving work to go to the bowling alley. I dreaded asking him if he'd come pay for my purchases but I had to. He chuckles. Chuckles!

I'm in the thrift shop waiting patiently for Beau, he walks in smiling reaching for his wallet. We pay for my things. We walk outside, I'm rambling on about my lost debit card and I hear him say, "Are you ready to go to the bowling alley?" UGH! Trapped! I say like I'd planned on going the whole time, I sure was. I get there and guess what? I'm the only wife. And in flip flops. I can't bowl, even though Beau said he could find me some socks. Uh, no thank you. I'll pass on THAT. Find me some socks???? Really??

The moral of the story is; had I been honest perhaps I wouldn't have found myself in an embarrassing situation in front of dozens of other Army wives at the thrift shop. Had I just told Beau I didn't want to go bowling and not tried to wiggle out of it maybe I'd have my debit card in my pocketbook. (Which by the way, Sally Jo had it.)

I enjoyed the bowling alley lunchtime with Beau and the guys. It turned out rather well. I laughed a lot and ate a very yummy 'philly'. Also found out I judge quite harshly without getting all the facts. (I know I shouldn't judge at all, I know I know.) One of Beau's soldiers is more than trouble, he's a young man needing approval. It put me in my place for sure.

I am truly grateful for a husband that finds my antics amusing.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic